The Shopping Trolley
I am driving home from my occasional on-call work, on a busy and stifling Saturday afternoon, cars and truck and cyclists impatient at the intersection. They have been shopping, desperately needing a new pair of shoes, a bigger screen, fast fashion from the giants that lurk in the mall 300 metres up the road.
And then I see it, out of the corner of my eye, as the
lights are yet to change. It is in front of the service station, where the
price of fuel is eye-wateringly high. High because of decisions made across the
seas, where conflict is on-going and devastating, not for the Fat Cats who sit
all powerful in their private air-conditioned planes, but for the people on the
ground, those whose homes are being destroyed, leaving their lives in tatters.
Grief and sorrow like I will never know; grief and anger like I will never
understand.
The shopping trolley is there, to my left. I have to focus
on the road, but I glance over at it. Cardboard, flattened to fit; a jacket or
shirt. Maybe a gas-cooker and a pot, but I will be stretching the truth if I tell
you I see those things. It is someone’s life, stuffed into a borrowed trolley, sitting
in the mid-afternoon sun as the grime from a thousand tires drift slowly down
upon it. Black, sticky grime, staining the jacket, the cardboard which will
become a bed later tonight.
I enter the yard, and ask for Richard, newly-married and
excited to show me his wedding photos. And I see it, my umbrella, on the table.
My heart beats a little faster - I have
searched for days, rung cafes, asked strangers. The precious umbrella my friend
from the capital gifted me, this brand able to stand the harsh Wellington gales,
straight off the Strait. It is stronger than me. I bent in those winds, almost
crumpled as loneliness chilled me to the core.
It is warmer here in north. As I wonder who will claim the
trolley when dusk falls, where they will sleep when the rain comes, the lights
change. The laden ute in front pulls away with a roar, dragging me behind in
the slip stream. I am hopeful that more than the lights will change. Before it’s
too late.

Comments
Post a Comment